Tuesday, April 7, 2015

OG 9-3 (Base, SE, Viggen) 9-5 Aero Rear Brake Upgrade.

This past weekend I upgraded the rear brakes on my LB Viggen to the (2002-2004 9-5 Aero 300mm Vented rear discs, caliper, etc). Comparing the hardware this is a HUGE upgrade. The discs are substantially larger (both diameter, and the fact that they're vented). The caliper is a single piston caliper, which may seem like a downgrade however the dual piston caliper that's on the OG 9-3 is solid mounted where these calipers are mounted on a bracket so they are able to slide. Last but not least the pad is larger. 

You may ask how badly I needed brakes... This should answer the question. This should also answer the question why you shouldn't buy Chinese eBay pads and rotor sets.  This pad/rotor set had somewhere around 15-20k miles on it (from my understanding), I've never seen a set of pads/rotors wear this quickly. Anyways /rant.


So here's the hardware I purchased for this upgrade, everything except the lines are a necessity (there are write-ups out there on how to upgrade the calipers using stock lines). When searching out vehicles I searched for parts for a 2003 Saab 9-5 Aero. 
1. 300mm Rear Rotors
2. Rear Pads for Said Vehicle
3. Calipers (I purchased them from O'Reilly's since they have a lifetime Warranty - PN: 19-2746, 19-2747 -- they were special order and took about 5 days to show up)
4. Caliper Brackets (I got these from a junk yard with core calipers for $20 -- this saved me $150ish in core charges)
5. Brake Lines (These came from Genuine Saab. Goodridge 40005 and Goodridge RR Lines - these really came in handy since my car was rusty and the stock lines were... well I think hard to remove would have been an understatement)

This is nearly a full bolt in modification, which is excellent. The only thing that I had to modify were the dust shields to clear the calipers. 

And here are some more pictures...

New vs Old Rotor

New vs Old Caliper (and Line)

The Finished Product. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks a lot for your post. I have a 2002 9-3 2.0 SE and I'm going to to do the upgrade. My only question it's about the hard line, Does the original 9-3 line wcan fit the new 9-5 caliper?? Thanks1

    ReplyDelete